Founder & CEO, Mon Purse
Lana Hopkins is CEO and Founder of Mon Purse, the world's first design-your-own leather handbag and accessories brand to scale mass customization.
With the customer journey at the heart of everything they do, Mon Purse enables you to design and personalise your very own leather handbag and accessories using our custom 3D bag designer (with over 10 billion design combinations) crafted by generational European artisans.
The proprietary Mon Purse 3D Bag Designer has no equal in the fashion-industry. It uses PBR (Physics Based Rendering, a 3D rendering technique developed in the gaming industry specifically for leather) in combination with WebGL to fully leverage the 3D capabilities of the graphics chips in today’s devices. This gives the customer confidence that she will receive her one-of-a-kind purse as she sees it on the screen before ordering.
“From the customer side, the drive to be your own brand and an individual is propelling the customization trend” comments Lana Hopkins. “Increasingly, consumers are utilizing social media channels to showcase the world their persona and brand. Mon Purse taps into that market. From a retailer perspective, custom-design presents an ingenuous way to rectify the problem of holding inventory, making educated guesses, and getting caught up in the markdown and promotion cycle. We are no longer guessing what customers want, instead we allow them to tell us what it is they actually need. It's a customer centric mentality.”
In just 18 months, Mon Purse has captured the attention of top press and influencers globally featuring in publications such as Vogue US, Fashionista.com, Fast Company, Forbes, Harper's Bazaar UK and Marie Claire US.
Mon Purse has partnered with iconic global retailers; Bloomingdale's, Selfridges and MYER as well as Laura Brown (Editor in Chief, InStyle USA) who created her own custom collection.
Mon Purse products are made in Europe, using premium leather from Italy and Turkey. The brand has invested heavily into engineering a bespoke, vertically integrated manufacturing process to produce quality custom handbags and leather goods at scale – they currently offer 10 billion different design combinations.
Mon Purse is the first handbag retailer globally to take the ‘design-your-own’ concept online and then in-store. Roaming iPads and design booths allow the customer to take the same online journey, but is powerfully combined with the ability to touch, feel and smell the quality of the European leather in-store, delivering an astounding conversion rate attributed to customer confidence in the Mon Purse product. The design tools are fully mobile responsive meaning that customers are able to design-their-own handbag in the palm of their hand.
Founded in early 2015 (beta in late 2014) by Lana Hopkins, CEO. The company was born out of Hopkins’ inability to find the kind of handbag quality and design to satisfy her. She saw an opportunity to create a disruptive model to provide fully customisable leather handbags that target the affordable luxury handbag market. Hopkins’ was previously at News Ltd, and a Founder of an e-commerce start-up which was sold prior to Mon Purse.
In June 2016, Mon Purse secured AUD $3.1 million in a series A capital raise, previously completing an angel round in July 2015, and a small seed round that occurred in mid-2014 to kick-start the business. The brand counts a significant handful of Australian and International high net worth individuals as investors.
- - Finalist in the Young Entrepreneur of the Year, World Retail Awards (Dubai, April 2017).
- - Winner; Punching above your Weight Award at the Power Retail Awards, 2017.
- - In 2016, Online Retailer named Mon Purse the Top Retailer to Watch and in July, Mon Purse was awarded the Best In-Store Initiative and the Best Bootstrapped Growth Initiative Award at the Online Retail Industry Awards.
- - Winner; Multichannel Retailer of the Year - Australian Retailers Association Awards, 2016.
- - Rising Star in Inside Retail in 2015 and one of the top 50 in 2016.
- - Smart Company top 10 Entrepreneurs to watch in 2017 and Remodista's Women2Watch in 2017.
- - Finalist in the Cosmopolitan Women of the Year awards for Entrepreneur of the Year 2016.
Mon Purse is also nominated for the following Inside Retail Awards (30 March, 2017):
- - Customer Experience Initiative of the Year Award
- - Online Customer Experience of the Year Award
- - Omni Channel Initiative of the Year Award
- - Customer Technology Initiative of the Year Award
Also see Lana Hopkins speak at:
- - ShopTalk, Las Vegas 2017
- - World Retail Conference Dubai, 2017
- - WWD London, 2017
- - Cosmopolitan Magazine, London 2017