Who We Are
Avalara, Inc., is a leading cloud-based software platform provider that delivers a broad and growing array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transaction taxes, such a value-added tax. Our mission is to help businesses of all sizes achieve compliance by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
What We Do
Avalara helps make sales tax compliance simple and automatic for businesses of all sizes. Our end-to-end suite of solutions automatically determines taxability, identifies applicable tax rates, accurately calculates taxes, prepares and files returns, remits taxes, maintains tax records, and manages tax exemption certificates.
What problem do we solve?
Manually managing sales and other transactional taxes can be both a financial and time burden. Avalara solutions enable businesses to automate the process, which helps reduce compliance errors and audit exposure, increase the speed of transaction processing, and reduce total compliance costs.
What sets us apart?
Avalara’s DNA is technology, and through the years we have amassed deep stores of statutory tax content, including tax rates, taxability rules on millions of products and services, tax jurisdiction boundaries, etc. Our cloud-based software platform manages the complexity and simplifies the process of sales tax and other transaction tax compliance cost-effectively and with ecommerce-class scale, speed, and reliability.
How do we do it?
Avalara works within a customer’s own financial, billing, ecommerce, or point of sale system to deliver accurate tax calculations in real time via a secure Internet connection. Specifically, our solutions validate physical transaction addresses, use geolocation technology to determine applicable taxing jurisdictions, identify applicable tax exemptions or holidays, check taxability against our extensive tax rules and regulation database, identify applicable tax rates, and accurately calculate taxes – typically in less than one second per transaction. Each transaction is stored and immediately available for reporting; customers can use these reports to file their own returns or outsource the entire process to us.
- Employs > 1,000 people worldwide
- Serves tens of thousands of businesses globally
- Supports more than 100 countries worldwide
- Processes millions of tax transactions for customers and free users every day
- Remits billions in sales and use tax collections/year
- Manages millions of exemption certificates/year
- Files hundreds of thousands of tax returns/year
- Tracks rates in > 12,000 jurisdictions
- Controls one the largest libraries of statutory sales tax content, enabling tax decisions on millions of products
- Maintains >10 million universal product codes (UPC) mapped to sales tax content
- Works with hundreds of industry partners including solution providers, value added resellers, development and implementation specialists, and accounting service organizations
- Provides pre-built connections into a broad base of leading business applications, including accounting, enterprise resource planning (ERP), ecommerce, point of sale (POS) and mobile payment, and customer relationship management (CRM) applications.